Many business owner or freelancer never learned how to approach a debtor, how to communicate during a collection call, how to create urgency or how to properly document the process.
- Be professional! If necessary practice what you will say and how you want to say it before
- Have a goal in mind. You know your client best, maybe offering a payment plan is a more promising approach.
- Stay calm and focused. Dissociate yourself from the money and the debtor, this is business!
- If necessary, encourage the debtor to calm down as well and make clear that you want to work on a solution
- If the debtor doesn’t calm down, tell the debtor that you will call again and end the call. Do not get into an emotionally charged argument! Be firm with the debtor, stay persistent but positive, so the debtor will take the collection seriously
- Try finding out the (real) reason payments haven’t been made and use that information to develop a solution that works for both the debtor and creditor
- Communicate options and next steps Follow up!
If you don’t want to do it yourself or if you just want to streamline your collection process, Hi, I’m Sally developed a simple to understand set of services to help you chasing your money.
No commissions, no empty promises, no false expectations, just plain simple Money Chasing.